PrEP is a once-a-day pill. When taken every day it can help prevent you from becoming infected with HIV.
When you add PrEP to your daily routine and combine it with other preventative measures like using condoms and regular HIV testing, it could help you reduce your risk of getting HIV by over 90%.
Only HIV-negative people can take PrEP.
PrEP can protect people who are HIV-negative and who are at risk of being exposed to HIV through sex or injecting drugs. If you are HIV-negative and can relate with any of the following statements, PrEP might be right for you and you should talk to a medical care provider.
• Do you use condoms sometimes or not at all and have you had an STD in the past 6 months?
• Are you having condomless sex with someone whose HIV status you don’t know?
• Do you use injection drugs? If so, do you share needles or other equipment to inject drugs?
• Are you in a relationship with an HIV-positive partner?
• Are you engaged in sex work?